Romsey Men’s 1st XI 2 – 3 Sunbury & Walton Hawks Men’s 1st XI


Romsey’s slump continued as they lost a game they probably should have won and this third successive defeat leaves them amongst the Regional Division 2 stragglers. With the visitors sitting deep Romsey were allowed to make the play from the back but for all their advantages in possession and territory the home side failed to create many chances and were punished by a late Sunbury winner.


Sunbury almost took a controversial early lead after an umpire missed the ball hitting an attacker’s foot during a penalty corner; Romsey were relieved that the other official had seen the infringement and advised his colleague to overturn the initial decision to award a goal. Instead it was Romsey who opened the scoring when Jack Forrest-Charde got free with a dribble near the baseline and was able to pick out striker Neil Strong, who made no mistake with a low finish.


Having worked hard to establish this advantage, Romsey were guilty of allowing the visitors to draw level in embarrassingly easy fashion as a free hit came directly into the ‘D’ and got a small touch from an attacker that nutmegged the goalkeeper.


Romsey’s early good play rather petered out towards the end of the half, though they did come close when an effort got past the goalkeeper but was cleared by a covering defender. Romsey’s man of the match was central defender David Edwards for making some important tackles and distributing the ball from the back.


After halftime Ben Mullan was yellow carded for an accumulation of stick tackles but Romsey saw off the temporary disadvantage in numbers without alarm. Sunbury did however take the lead after Romsey were restored to full strength when a penalty corner was slipped left and then back across goal for a tap-in on the post.


Romsey hit back almost immediately with their best passage of play in the game, a fluent passing move involving numerous players that ended with Mullan finding the backboard after an assist from Lucas Cross.


The home side’s attacking pressure continued and Joe Welch almost put his side ahead with a fierce reverse stick effort, but in general Romsey lacked the craft needed in the final third of the pitch to create clear openings. In contrast the attacks of the visitors were less numerous but more threatening and they won a string of penalty corners. Whilst several of these were resisted by the Romsey defence, eventually Sunbury made one count and claimed the points with just two minutes remaining.

Gallery Glimpse
dsc07241 dsc07343 dsc08799 ladies1_v_eastleigh_151011_10
Free Sitemap Generator