Romsey took another step towards promotion and gained another revenge victory over a New Milton side who had a 100% home record before this match.

New Milton started the stronger on their home pitch, and played some fast long balls in to the Romsey D looking for the final touch towards goal.

The Romsey defence stood firm, Ian Wilson at right back and Mark Gilbert at left kept the New Milton wingers at bay and through the centre Jim Ponsford got to all the 50/50 balls first. Skipper Robertson found himself in a stew at one point and it was Ponsford who came to the rescue.

As the half went on Romsey got a grip on the match, Lucas Cross played in Colin Harwood and his shot slammed in to the post half way up it, the ball rebounding straight out to Martin Simpson-Scott who saw who follow up smothered by the keeper, and Simpson-Scott had a chance moments later to put Romsey one up but his lofted shot drifted wide.

As the match hotted up Simon Morford was green carded for a poor tackle, and Romsey had to weather a New Milton attack on the stroke of half time to turn around 0-0.

Romsey decided to go for quick bursts of attack at the start of the second half, and played deeper supporting their defensive line.

Simpson-Scott played in Lucas Cross with 15 minutes gone and he pushed the ball past the keeper to give Romsey the lead.

New Milton immediately pressed for an equaliser, and Romsey were reliant on Ponsford to make two key interceptions in the D, some strong tackles and an amazing goal line clearance, as the ball spun towards the goal line. Criag Mellor in goal then blocked out a good New Milton shot to keep a clean sheet.

Morford was then yellow carded, and so Romsey had just ten men to battle against a New Milton team keen to preserve their home record. Greig Stewart in the centre took control and he and James Boggis worked tirelessly to make up the man disadvantage.

Then a New Milton mistake gifted the ball to Simpson-Scott and he ran towards the keeper and swept it in for a 2-0 lead. Romsey now took the ascendancy and Ian Wilson and Stuart Robertson played in Simpson-Scott on the half way line. He ran towards the New Milton D and crossed for Sam Barcia to take a touch and guide the ball in to the goal for wonderful third.

Romsey went top of the table until Bournemouth played and have it in their own hands to achieve back to back promotions.

Gallery Glimpse
SONY DSC SONY DSC SONY DSC ladies2_v_winch_151011_04
Free Sitemap Generator