Romsey avenged their 5-1 defeat versus Gillingham earlier in the season to remain top of Hampshire Division 6 on goal difference with Havant who their face in the last game of the season for what could be a title deciding match.

Romsey started with a well worked move from the first whistle, Colin Harwood looked to play the ball backwards with a dummy stroke and then reversed play forward from the off, playing in centre forward Martin Simpson-Scott who ran in to the Gillingham circle and the ball hit a defenders foot. Penalty Corner.
From this move a deft stop by Captain Stuart Roberton allowed Greig Stewart to flick the ball in to the corner and put Romsey 1-0 up in the first minute.

Gillingham were a strong force, and a team never beaten by Romsey, and they immediately pushed Romsey in to some defensive work. James Manning at right back was helped out by Harwood and Stewart coming deep to support the defence, and Robertson sweeping made sure that Romsey keeper Craig Mellor was only called on once to make a reaction save as the first half went on.

As Romsey weathered the storm Simon Morford played in James Boggis and he squared for Jacob Arney to put the ball inches wide, Arney was unfortunate a few moments later when a second attempt of his just missed the target and in the last hit of the first half Simpson-Scott was thwarted by the keeper so Romsey didnt get that second goal they badly needed.

In the second half Gillingham upped their game, and Man of the Match Ian Wilson at centre back played superbly making a number of tackles to belie his years in order to keep Romsey ahead.

Wilson and Manning getting Romsey out of trouble a number of times and calming play down. Andrew Archibald at left back was supported by Tim Bailey in order to eliminate the threat of the other side of play.

With 15 minutes to play Gillingam broke away, and despite Romsey stopping the play with a foul Gillingham played a killer ball past several Romsey sticks to see their centre forward deservedly equaliise with a reverse hit shot, giving Mellor no chance.

With time running out Carl Hendy up front was able to hold the balll and Romsey started to build some better moves, Stewart and Bailey combined down the left with Hendy to create a great chance with five minutes remaining, but the keeper pulled off a super save. The ball was not fully cleared and Hendy and Stewart combined to get the ball to the back post where Boggis coolly slotted home to give Romsey all three points.

One Response to Mens 2 beat the old enemy!

Gallery Glimpse
SONY DSC img_0471 dsc08812 Ladies 2s vs Haselmere 2s - 007
Free Sitemap Generator