The Romsey Boys U10 squad started the Hampshire Champsionships on Sunday with an impressive one nil victory over Trojans. A score line that did not do their performance justice. Considering it was the first time the team had all played together and Stanley Arnold had ever put the goal keeper kit on they still managed to keep a clean sheet. The team showed their lack training together in their organisation and occasional lack of passing. The only goal came from a swift exchange from James Fuller and Ben Harris up front. The team performance did improved by the second game. Oliver Ohara took charge of the Romsey goal for his first ever time between the posts. With resolute defending in front of him, by an impressive Jack Sluman, and a display of excellent saves from their new keeper gave Romsey another clean sheet. The result 0-0 with a determined Andover who pulled out all the stops to get a goal. By the third game Romsey were finding their feet and dominated the first 5 minutes against Haslemere. This was with a player short! Then unfortunately, against the run of play, Haslemere scored and there was no way back for the Romsey . So, Romsey went into their last group game, against Winchester, needing a victory to exit the first group games and go into the semi finals.
This was the under tens most impressive performance as the team gave every last ounce of energy to the game. Joe Arnold made an impressive run down the wing passing several opposition early on to cross to James Fuller who layed it off to Ben Harris. One nil to Romsey. With another commanding performance from Matt Dyer who was every where on the pitch. He was deservedly chosen as the Coaches player of the Tournament. The game against Winchester ended with another strong passing movement to James Fuller who’s shot was stopped on the line by a defenders foot. A penalty stroke was awarded and then taken by Ben Harris who expertly scooped the ball over the keepers head into the roof of the goal. A top draw penalty providing the most rememberable event of the day. This will not be forgotten for many years.
Now to the Semi final which was against a well organised Farnham side but the first half was dominated by Romsey. Within the first few minutes Ben Harris had taken it round the Keeper with Jack Sluman now playing up front. The empty net beckoned. What seemed like an age, for the waiting supporters to celebrate, the opportunity never came as the ball ended up going wide. Fareham then hit back and their confidence showed in front of goal as they beat Romsey. So they failed to make the final even with an injection of pace from Elliott Colyer who gave a solid performance at the back. Romsey went on to the third and forth place play off with Southampton. The game pretty much a none event with the only high light was Oliver Ohara making a number of super saves along with a relentless Matt Dyer running his socks off. The day was a brilliant result for the U10 boys and they were only an empty net away from getting to the final against the final victors, and Hampshire champions, Haslmere.

Gallery Glimpse
dsc07273_0 dsc07316 SONY DSC SONY DSC
Free Sitemap Generator