The U14 boys have had an amazing start to the hockey season and they are top the tablewith 4 league wins out of 4 and an impressive goal difference of 32.
The season started with a 8-2 win over Basingstoke in the Wessex U14 cup which set up a
quarter final match against Bournemouth A team. This proved to be a great contest which
Romsey were unlucky to loss 1-2.
The league matches have seen great teamwork with everyone working hard for each other
resulting in some impressive score lines:
10-0 verses New Forest
11-0 verses Trojans Tigers
7-1 verses Southampton
7-2 verses Bournemouth 2
Goal scorers:
Morgan 14
Bryn 7
Rufus 6
Noah 4
Elliott 4
Bailey 3
Will R 3
Ben H 3
The defence of Will R, Elliott, Toby H, Will P, Dan and Archie has been solid and effective at
minimising the number of shots on goal. However when Rob has been called on he has
made some great saves, he certainly kept us in the quarter final match saving over 7 short
The mid field of Morgan, Bailey, Noah, Ben S, Toby Y, James and Rufus have linked well with
defence and supplied great balls to the forwards of Will R, Bryn and Ben H.
The team have certainly taken on board the mantra of coach Stuart “Yellow to yellow, ball
speed up and movement off the ball.”

2 1
The team is looking forward to the second half of the season and hopefully more success.

U14 Boys

The U14 Boys finished the season with an exciting match away in Salisbury. The good weather had brought out the numbers and Romsey had a large squad of 16 lads. All played brilliantly in this very competitive, end to end game.

The first half was very tight and would have seen honours even at the turn is a whistle had not gone to award Romsey with a short corner as their powerful shot headed for the back board.

Romsey started the second half much stronger and a short corner was neatly converted by Morgan Robertson.

The match looked like it was going to finish as a hard fought draw but a last gasp break by Salisbury saw the points and honour go to the Wiltshire team.

Goal mouth action from yesterday’s U14 boys match, but where is the ball…..answers on a postcard….

Spot the Ball

Despite loosing 4-0 against a very strong Hamble team, Romsey’s u14 boys continued to develop their passing game. All of the lads played extremely well and if a larger squad had been available the result could have been very different.


Romsey u14 boys faced table topping Southampton for what on paper was going to be a tough fixture. The opening exchanges reinforced this impression a Romsey played as 11 individuals and allowed Southampton to quickly take the lead. It was soon 2-0 as Romsey pressed high without any structure leaving space for the visitors to exploit.

Romsey started to play better in patches and it was one of these moves that saw some neat interplay down the left channel between Morgan Robertson and Olly Westmacott. The final ball into the D found skipper Matt Loveday who made no mistake and pulled one goal back with a decisive strike.

The home team reverted to type though and soon found themselves under pressure again and by the turn were 4-1 down and facing a heavy defeat.

Romsey’s coach and manager gave their team a stern talking to at half time and reminded them that passing to team mates was allowed! This sage advice was initially ignored and Southampton again broke through some sloppy home defence and added a 5th goal.

Finally though something clicked in the Romsey psyche and they started to perform as a team. Archie Webster and Jamie Reid started to not only make tackles but then were able to create opportunity going forward. Will Gent in his most disciplined performance consistently broke down Southampton attacks and distributed well forward. 

With the rapid pace of Felix Chaman-Sheath tormenting the visitors Romsey won a short corner. A fierce strike from the top of the D by Harry Croft-Baker reduced the deficit by one. Bailey Benham and Rufus Taylor started to control the midfield making some important turnovers which eventually saw a through ball find Bryn Wathen unmarked in the D. He made no mistake scoring on the turn, wrong footing the Southampton keeper. 

Further good work and some fine passing play left Croft-Baker at the top of the D, he shimmied to the left and struck on the reverse to make it 4-5 with only minutes to spare. Romsey continued to work hard and a driving run from Noah Cooper earnt him a short corner. Croft-Baker converted with a neat move making this titanic struggle even.

Southampton were not to be outdone though. They pressed hard and won a short corner of their own on the final whistle. A superb save from Rob Budden in the Romsey goal cleared the ball out of the D and so brought about the end of the game. A 5-5 thriller ended with a suitable nail biting climax.


 The U14 Boys played really well against a strong Fareham team on Sunday. Although they lost 1-4 the final score flattered the opposition considering the number of goal line clearances made by the Fareham defenders. Bryn Wathen stepped up and played superbly in the Romsey goal, Matt Loveday popped up and scored Romsey’s only goal. Felix Chapman-Sheath was a constant threat with his rocket propelled running and smart ball control – particularly impressive on debut. The rest of the team played well for each other and maintained a positive team spirit throughout, the improvements they have made are already clear and the potential of this team is massive.


The U14 boys played their last league match of the year away at Southampton and came away with a deserved 3-1 victory, to maintain their 100% win record.  This victory ensured their positions as League Champions.

The team was much changed due to Hampshire call ups, injuries and non availabilities and so it took a little while for the team to gel and after a re arrangement of players and positions, Romsey settled into the match dominating possession but not creating many chances. The switch to a flat back 4  allowed full backs Sam Green and Jamie Sanderson to push forward and an attack down the right, after 20 minutes  created a chance for Robert Williams to sweep in from close range. Prior to that Morgan Robertson had a goal disallowed for his shot being too high from a penalty corner and with seconds to go in the first half he crashed an excellent shot just past the far post.

Southampton attached with more vigour in the 2nd half and the defensive duo of Noah Cooper and Raul Patel kept them at bay, snuffing out their attacks and releasing Thomas Edwards to drive forward in an all action midfield display. Edward Robinson, making his league debut, played well down both flanks and after Southampton had equalised through a lofted shot, he created space down the right and crossed for Robertson to get the goal, his play  deserved.

Following the 2nd goal, Romsey’s confidence increased and a 3rd swiftly followed from a storming right wing run by Sam Green, beating several players on the way,  whose hard low cross was deflected in by a Southampton defender.

DSC_0490 DSC_0488 DSC_0485The final minutes were played with out any great concern to the Romsey goal, ensuring the win to maintain top place in the Division.



The all conquering U14 boys team lost their unbeaten status on Sunday at Fareham losing 4 -0 in the quarter final of the Hampshire Cup.

The opposition were a step up from all other teams played in the year and as they were packed with County  and National players but Romsey fought and battled throughout and showed magnificent team spirit and resolve which the scoreline did not reflect.

It would be difficult to single out any player as all 14 members of the squad played to their best ability and followed the coach’s instructions to the letter and  with a little bit more luck the result, or at least the score line could have been better. Despite having the vast majority of the play, Fareham did not fashion any real goal scoring chance until 20 minutes  had passed when a relatively weak penalty corner hit sneaked in the far post.

After going a goal down , and then a second quickly thereafter, Romsey turned on the attacking pressure and arguably the turning point of the game came just before half time when Romsey suffered a double blow.  An attack down the left led to Art Barcia’s shot hitting a Fareham defender on the foot on the line which should have resulted in a P flick, however as the ball rebounded out  it was immediately  driven hit back into the goal by Ben Davidson, only for the umpire to give a penalty corner which came to nothing.

A goal at that time would have changed the momentum, but despite valiant efforts all-round, and a great rally towards the end of the 2nd half Romsey could not quite find the goal their efforts deserved.


The 100% winning record of the U14 was extended on Sunday with a hard fought 7-4 victory over Salisbury. The title will now be up for grabs in the last league match of the season against Southampton in 2 weeks.

With a number of players away for half term and Hampshire training, the team was much changed with Will Gent and Aaron Welch both making their  league debuts, Hal Cross moving into defence and Morgan Robertson and Noah Cooper moving up from the U12s. Thus it took a little while for the team to find it’s way,  not helped by a muscle injury to Matt Rowland forcing him off mid way through the first half.

Salisbury opened the scoring, meaning it was the first time the team had been behind in the whole year and this was quickly equalised with a goal from Matt Loveday following good work by Cross and Archie Attwood down the right. Salisbury employed the tactic of leaving one forward very high up the field, pushing on and beyond sweeper Alex Mills and the team struggled to deal with this, despite the efforts of Cooper who had a fine game at centre back.  However the attacking prowess of Loveday, Archwood, Art Barcia and Robert Williams kept the pressure on and kept providing chances for man of the match Jake Rowland. He scored his first just before half time to leave the score at that point 2-2 but extended his influence over the game in the second half to score a further 3 and make one for Loveday. His second goal involved a dribble from the half way line, beating 5 defenders before hitting a brilliant reverse into the far corner, at times he was unplayable and was the big difference between the two sides.

Although Salisbury continued to chip away at the score, Romsey kept scoring at important times to ensure the ending was straightforward with Atwood getting a goal towards the end that his endeavours deserved.


Another very easy win by the all conquering U14 boys team meant their 100% winning record was extended along with their lead at the top of the table. The final score was 14 -2 and on reflection the only disappointment was the late conceding of the 2 goals to a plucky Winchester team.

Goals flew in from every angle, the first within 3 minutes and at half time the score was 7 -0 and the message from the coach was to keep going, keep scoring and take the opportunity to improve the goal difference.

Goal scorers were Tom Croft Baker  (5), Harry Croft Baker (4), Ben Davidson (2), Jake Rowland (3)




Gallery Glimpse

dsc07806 picture-189 img_0223-rhc_4 SONY DSC
Free Sitemap Generator