A superb all round effort from all of the players on a very cold Sunday morning earned Romsey the points to top of Division 2.

The result was all the more remarkable as the team included 4 lads making their debuts and over half the team coming up from the Under 14s. The team was further weakened by an injury to Felix in the warm up, meaning there were only 12 fit players at the start of the match.

Romsey dominated much of the possession with  man of the match Ben Davidson, Elliot Collyer and Morgan Robertson running the show from central midfield with wingers Will Gent and Matt Loveday causing problems down both sides.  Much of the attacking came via the wide positions and the Hamble keeper made multiple saves from Davidson, Roberson and debutant centre forward Will Richie.  Hamble were dangerous  on the real and Noah Cooper and Will Richards, also making his debut, had much to do. Although keeper Hal Cross made some excellent saves Hamble scored a scuffed goal to go in 1-0 at half time.

The second half belonged even more to Romsey and matt Loveday equalised and Morgan Robertson scored twice with drag flicks from short corners. The last 5 minutes was all played in Romsey’s half and Cross and his defence somehow kept the ball out of the net, despite facing several short corners.



A competitive opening game of the season against Southampton ended 1-1 with Ben Davidson equalising for Romsey late in the first half after a tight opening 30 minutes. In reality although both teams had opportunities to score, the defences held strong and a draw was probably a fair result.

The Romsey team included a number of boys making their U16 debuts and Felix, Oscar, Matt and Will all put in a great effort, with a combination of determination, skill and pace.

The main thrust of Romsey’s attacking came down the right hand side with Thomas Edwards putting in a man of the match performance at right back (including knocking a goal bound shot one off the line)  and his fellow defenders Noah, Raul and Jamie also shone.

The Romsey goal came from a break away led by Matt Loveday who played in Morgan Robertson and Ben Davidson for the latter to sweep in the rebound.


The U16 boys battled to a  gritty, if not wholly convincing 3-2 win away to Salisbury on Sunday thanks to goals from skipper Tom Croft – Baker, Jake Rowland and Harry Croft Baker.

It was very much a tale of two half as though Romsey much of the game, they needed the 2nd half to be able to impose themselves and come back from a half time 2-1 deficit.  The team were set up to hold a high line, press and the break quickly through wingers Zack Cooper and Matchy Lincoln and after 15 minutes that worked  just as it should with Charlie Harrigan breaking through and feeding TCB to fire in the opener. The more Romsey pressed the bigger the gaps came between the defence and attack and Salisbury broke twice to score.

The second half was more one way traffic and was illuminated by a stunning goal from Rowland who ran from the half way line, beating a number of players before hitting an unstoppable reverse on to the far post and in. This goal gave further confidence to Romsey and a further break allowed TCB to feed the ball across the D for HCB to slide in the far post to score. The team, with greater concentration on their speed of passing, could and should have scored more, although they were indebted to Hal  Cross in goal for a sliding save when faced with a one on one with the Salisbury centre forward. Following this Cooper hit the post towards the end, and also had one knocked off the line and the impressive Ben Davidson created a number of chances via skilful wing play.



Running Out Of TimeThe weekly seniors’ training sessions are well under way and have been running for the last 3 weeks.

  • Men – Tuesdays 20:00 to 22:00
  • Ladies – Thursdays 20:00 to 21:30

Please note U16s and U18s are welcome at the above sessions.

Don’t miss this opportunity to get back into the rhythm… there is only a few weeks before the first matches.

Full training schedule here.

Romsey were victorious in their last outing of the season and finally got a result their possession and dominance deserved that in other games this season has not gone for them.

Romsey opened the scoring from penalty corner, Charlie Harrigan flicked the ball in to the roof of the net giving the defence and keeper of Salisbury no chance.

Salisbury battled back and Daniel Newman and Chris Harwood were needed to tidy up, before a move down the right started by Ben Manning, bringing Ben Davidson in to play he linked up with Matchey Lincoln and Tom Croft-Baker who got to the top of the circle and unleashed a shot for 2-0.

Then Romsey grabbed a third when Harrigan got his second from close range after a good double save from the keeper.

Ollie Bryant and Zak Cooper played some inter change passes to set Harrigan up for a run on goal, but the keeper came out and blocked his effort.

In the second half Romsey looked to increase their 3-0 lead, but were thwarted by some excellent defending, Felix Bussey-Jones was unlucky when his shot touched his foot in the build up and then Harrigan did get the fourth and his hat-trick to re-inforce his position of top scorer for the U16 this season.

Salisbury searched for a goal, and Joe Powell grabbed a deserve goal for the visitors and almost got a second before the final whistle.
Romsey were unfortunate to be on the wrong end of this scoreline as they dominated the first half but couldn’t make the most of their chances.

Romsey started with some superb passing hockey, Gus Reid, Matchey Lincoln and Zak Cooper playing in Joe Powell and Ollie Bryant to set up Charlie Harrigan.  Harrigan was thwarted twice by the Winchester keeper sliding out and blocking his shots.

Then Harrigan set up Powell and he played an undercut shot just over the bar, before a second attempt looked goal bound at the far post only to hit the side netting.

Felix Bussey-Jones supported the attack in his debut game, but Romsey couldn’t find the final shot at goal. In defence full backs Ben Manning and Jamie Sanderson kept their wingers at bay with some sharp tackling, and Chris Harwood commanded the centre of defence with Daniel Newman.

Romsey defended their penalty corners with a well drilled defending run out, but they lost captain Chris Harwood at a penalty corner when he took a lifted shot straight on to the hand so he took no further part in the match.

Romsey went 1-0 down just before half time when a penalty corner was harshly awarded for a tackle outside the circle, and with a re-jigged defence Winchester shot and scored.

Romsey pushed for an equaliser in an evenly balanced second half, Bussey-Jones was tackled as he was about to shoot and again Powell and Harrigan went close.

Winchester doubled their lead on the break, they shot past keeper Hal Cross and hit the post, the ball bouncing back against the keeper and in to the goal for 2-0.

Romsey reduced the arrears with ten minutes to go Harrigan’s persistence paid off as he kept the ball through a number of tackles before lifting the ball in to the net for 2-1.

As Romsey pushed for an equaliser Winchester broke again, Sanderson, Bryant, Newman and Manning all made excellent interceptions but finally Winchester broke through and scored a third.

Romsey were not to be denied just yet and Harrigan, Bussey-Jones and Powell combined after a pass from Reid to allow Harrigan to shoot on to the post, he followed up to net the rebound for 3-2 just before the final whistle blew.

Romsey fulfilled their U16 fixture despite having three players at Hampshire JAC, which meant calling on U14s to make up the team against a much older New Forest team. The final score did not reflect the match which Romsey were excellent in for 60 minutes.

In an even first half Jake Rowland, Zak Cooper and Matchey Lincoln all went close, but a breakaway move by New Forest gave keep Alex Buck no chance as the final two on one simply passed it in to the net.

While Romsey looked again for the equaliser with Art Barcia and Joe Powell strong down the wings Ben manning couldn’t quite concert the end product.

Jamie Sanderson, Ollie Bryant and Daniel Newman provided a solid defence and Chris Harwood was effective in front of the back three. New Forest doubled their lead when the took a hit outside the circle and ran on to the Romsey goal, with no challenge the forward pushed the ball past Buck for a 2-0 HT lead.

Romsey were unfortunate at the start of the second half with Jake Rowland seeing two fine reverse shots just going wide, and when a shot from New Forest got a deflection from another Forest player to wrong foot Buck it was 3-0.

Romsey then had better fortune and as Rowlands shot was blocked Zak Cooper followed up to pull one back, two minutes later it was 3-2 as Ben Manning’s run in to the circle was deflected over the line.

Romsey were intent on getting their deserved equaliser. Joe Powell got in the circle but his final pass was cut out, then Lincoln and Cooper combined with Manning but his shot was blocked.

With 15 minutes to go the game was finely balanced at 3-2 until New Forest over turned Romsey in the centre of the pitch, the break away couldn’t be cleared and Forest scored for 4-2.

Then with Chris Harwood taping up a split finger, Ollie Bryant going off after he took a full whack on the ankle New Forest scored three goals in the final five minutes to make a 7-2 scoreline unreflective of a great game.

Romsey started their 2014/15 with a defeat, but will try and work out in the coming weeks how they didn’t win away in Basingstoke after dominating possession.

Romsey started strongly with midfield trio of Tom Croft-Baker, Matchy Lincoln and Zak Cooper interchanging passes to bring Charlie Harrigan and Jake Rowland in to play.

Romsey couldn’t create a clear cut chance and Basingstoke pushed two men up against the Romsey defence and got in on a couple of break aways, Romsey were punished when a breakaway saw the Basingstoke centre forward alone and make no mistake past the lonely Alex Buck in goal.

Basingstoke doubled their lead a few minutes later but this time with a super reverse stick shot in to the roof of the net.

Romsey got back in to the game after a long run by Zak Cooper who played in Charlie Harrigan to push the ball over the line from a yard out.

Then Romsey equalised after Ben Manning and Ben Davidson combined to play the ball across the pitch to Gus Reid. He won a penalty corner, and from the set play Charlie Harrigan cleverly beat two players from the top of the D and in to roof of the net for 2-2.

With Romsey now on top they looked to go in at half time ahead, but another Basingstoke break won a penalty corner and after Alex Buck saved the first shot Basingstoke tucked away the rebound.

Romsey learnt from their half time team talk and Chris Harwood, Daniel Newman and Ben Manning created a solid three man defence which Basingstoke never looked like penetrating, that left Romsey attacking for most of the second half, and they created a number of half chances, Ben Davidson going close, Matchy Lincoln and Zak Cooper playing good passes in to the D but nothing fell right, and with Basingstoke overloading their defence Romsey couldn’t find the break through.

In the final minutes with Chris Harwood pushing up from the back, he and Tom Croft-Baker almost created an opening for Jake Rowland, but it wasn’t to be and Romsey lost 3-2.

Romsey travelled to Andover with only ten players due to some unavailability, and with the hot Spring sun out it looked like it was going to be a long afternoon.

Luke Hammond once again donned the goalkeeping kit, and while James Manning won the toss as captain, the team were unlucky in the rest of the first half.

Andover attacked and Romsey attacked, but whilst Ben Ellis was unlucky with his mazey run and shot, and Jack Murray had a shot cleared off the line waist high, Andover put away a penalty corner, forced in a second and then somehow conjured a third goal before halftime to lead 3-0.

Romsey were some what deflated, and with only ten men could have folded, but Finn swapped flanks with Chris Harwood, and Murray became a man possessed as the defence of Ian Wilson, Manning, Nick Buck and Hugh Davidson created a barrier to anymore Andover attacks marshalled by the vocal Hammond in goal.

Nick Buck played in Ben Ellis and his shot was blocked but the ball fell to David Forgan who coolly pulled a goal back. The in tense Romsey pressure saw a super penalty corner flick from Jack Murray bring the score to 3-2.

Murray then combined with Finn and Harwood before beating most of the Andover team to drive in an equaliser with fifteen minutes still to play.

Andover finally started to play some of the hockey they had done in the first half and Romsey felt aggrieved when Andover were awarded a penalty corner for an apparent foot.

Andover took a shot on goal that looked bound for the corner, only for Hammond to make a wonder save, but the ball rebounded to the same player who this time made no mistake to put Andover back in front with barely five minutes to play.

Romsey were not to be beaten, and won another penalty corner, this time Nick Buck played it to James Manning’s open stick and the captain took a touch before driving in the equaliser for 4-4 with a couple of minutes to play for ten man Romsey to hold on for an entertaining point.

Romsey gained some revenge from their 3-0 away defeat earlier in the season against a Southamton side who dropped points for only the second time this season with this draw, although Romsey will feel they should have secured the win.

An evenly contested game opened brightly with end to end moves being created through the Romsey midfield of Sam Barcia, Jack Murray, Toby Hill and Chris Harwood. Harwood played in David Forgan early on but he could not get his shot away, and then Toby Hill combined with Ben Ellis but Romsey could not convert.

The Romsey centre defence of Nick Buck and Ian Wilson kept Southampton attacks at bay, some long balls easily picked off and Keeper Alex Buck had less to do that his opposite number.

After a penalty corner routine came to nothing, Romsey conjured a great move from theor second. The ball out from Nick Buck to James Manning was clinically stopped, allowing Jack Murray to draw the defenders out before playing the ball left to Barcia who shot at goal and the two defenders and goal keeper couldnt prevent it from crossing the line.

As Romsey pressed for a second they played it round the back of their defence, only to be picked off by Southampton who won possession and punished Romsey with a some strong passes in to the Romsey D until a pass came off Nick Buck’s strick and away from Goalkeeper Alex to square the match at 1-1 with five minutes to go in the first half.

Romsey were rocked and lost their way a little, Southampton put together a great move to cut through the Romsey defence down the Southampton left, as the ball was played across the Romsey goalkeeer last ditch covering by Hugh Davidson was not enough to get to the ball ahead of a Southampton stick to see Romsey trail 1-2 at HT.

Romsey rallied as the second half took off, creating numerous chances. Eventually an individual effort by Sam Barcia, racing from the half way line through the Southampton defence and pushing the ball past the Southampton keepr levelled the scores and Romsey pressed for the winner.

Chris Harwood was played in down the right by Murray and his cross was expertly cut out by the last defender, then Murray and Barcia created further chances, before Ben Ellis cracked what looked like the winner a coat of paint thickness outside the post.

The game ended 2-2 and Romsey were only the second team to take points off Southampton in 2013/14.



Gallery Glimpse

Free Sitemap Generator