Romsey faced tough opposition in high flying United Services who look like the other challengers for the Div 9 South title with Isle of Wight, who were the only team to defeat Romsey so far this season before this match.

Romsey who usually start quite brightly, we’re on the back foot early on. Good tackles by T Sanders and L Suleja kept USP outside the circle, and D Sanders and D Andrews then provided further cover to keep the ball out, before it was drilled in from the USP left across the circle to find a stick at the far post to put USP 1 0 up.

Romsey rallied, and youngsters J Fuller, W Ritchie and E Colyer all started to make moves down the wings trying to create an opening.

C Harwood intercepted the ball and played a pass to J Harwood who played in C Hendy, but the top marksman couldn’t get his shot on target.

With Andrews and J Harwood starting to control the midfield Romsey suddenly looked the stronger team.  J Tower pushed up the right and interchanged with Colyer to get the ball in the circle but no chance could be created.

N Mason and Hendy upfront were supported with the tireless running of debutant S Field, and when J Harwood won a penalty corner Romsey had their best chance of an equaliser.

With B Parker played the ball to Hendy his pass to Mason was hit on goal and saved by the keeper, only for Parker to nip in and push the ball over the keeper and over the line for 1 1.

Romsey nearly went in ahead at the break as J Harwood somehow kept the ball in on the left and smashed it in to the circle, Hendy couldn’t get a touch and Colyer was almost able to steer it in at the back post but not quite.

Sadly the USP team with an extensive squad were able to up their game in the second half. Early on a great move by the visitors saw a first time shot saved by the in form B Wathen in goal, but USP followed up with a well timed second shot for 2 1.

Then a long through ball midway through the half saw Wathen rush out to narrow the angle but the USP forward took it round him and wide to push the ball in to the goal.

With the game closing out USP got two more chances and two more goals, the first a very well timed reverse stick volley to win 5 1, which was harsh on Romsey after their first half display.

Romsey 4s have one more match before Christmas and currently have 12 points, from 3 wins, 3 draws and two defeats against the top two and sit fourth in the table.

Romsey travelled to Swanage with only 11 players and initially the absence of the Harwood clan saw Romsey fall two behind to some simple goals.

At this point Romsey reacted positively without their talismanic skipper and and started to put together some excellent moves going forward. A Nick Mason shot was deflected past the keeper by old stalwart and top scorer Carl Hendy.

This was followed by superb work by midfield duo of D Andrews and M Duke keeping Romsey on the front foot and resulting in Mason scoring a wonderful solo effort to draw the teams level.

Romsey took the lead from another rMason strike and continued to dominate.

Disappointingly despite resolute defending from Parker, Loescher, Cavalier and Suleja Swanage poked the ball past Wathen in goal to equalise before half time.

The second half saw the opposition strengthen their midfield and in a close fought half another moment of solo magic by Man of the Match Mason won it for Romsey 4 – 3, maintaining their unbeaten start to the season after five games, with next up unbeaten Isle of Wight this Saturday, another encounter where Harwoods Senior and Junior will be missing!

Romsey enjoyed another entertaining topsy turvy Saturday encounter to remain unbeaten so far after four matches.

Romsey started strongly with Rob Cav having plenty of possession down the left, he and Ben Parker joined up to play in C Harwood but his pass in to the circle was cleared by the keeper before J Harwood could get to the ball.

M Duke making his debut was instrumental in setting up a one two with Carl Hendy but solid Salisbury defender kept Romsey out.

Then midway through the half the tide turned and it was Romsey on the back foot. Two long threaded passes found Salisbury forwards, the first saw a shot to the top corner that keeper B Wathen did brilliantly to claw away with his hand. Then the keeper was called upon to make a save with his feet.

L Suleja and D Loescher worked tirelessly to keep wave after wave of long balls at bay, and J Tower helped out at right back to make two clearances, before finally Salisbury made the break through to go 1 0 up at HT.

Romsey regrouped and the second. Half started like the first, this time J Harwood and D Andrews cut out every ball in the midfield with support of Duke, to set up Hendy and then E Colyer.

Another move saw Hendy and Duke interchange passes and when the keeper saved Dukes first attempt his followed up was stopped on the line with a foot for a penalty stroke. Duke stepped up and put the ball low in to the bottom left corner for 1 1 in a Man if the Match performance.

Romsey continued their onslaught, with Parker and Cav strong down the left and Tower and Colyer equally effective down the left.

Colyer played in C Harwood in the last few minutes his shot hit a foot, but Romsey failed to convert penalty corner chances and the game finished 1 1.

Romsey remain unbeaten so far this season, but this game felt like two points dropped in what was a see-saw encounter.

Romsey started brightly but couldn’t quite make that final pass in to the circle to create an opening, passes from Dave Andrews and Phil Humphreys just missing Romsey sticks, and Will Ritchie was unlucky when his shirt just went wide with the keeper beaten.

When Hamble attacked Stu Robertson in central defence ably covered and James Tower and Ben Parker were strong and solid either side, so it was somewhat disappointing that from a penalty corner that Romsey appeared to have closed down the initial danger, the ball found its way back to the striker to give Hamble the lead as keeper Bryn Wathen came across to try and block the shot but it went past him in to the goal.

Romsey raised their game and James Fuller and Will Ritchie combined down the right for Josh Harwood to almost get a shot away, and when Dave Andrews won a long corner, Colin Harwood moved to the 23 yard line to take it. His pass square to Josh Harwood saw Humphreys make a run that took the defender so Harwood junior threaded the ball through to the advancing Harwood senior who slammed the ball in from the top of the circle under the advancing keeper for a 1 1 half time score line.

Romsey dominated at the start of the second half, man of the match Will Ritchie won a penalty corner at the start of the half, and great work from Elliott Colyer down the right allowed Romsey to advance in to the circle and win another.

From the penalty corner, Stu Robertson played the ball right from the top of the circle to Ritchie who took a touch and then produced a wonderful strike to put Romsey 2 1 up. Ritchie then had to leave the field as a shot from Harwood was kicked up in to the young lads forehead from the keeper.

From the penalty corner Romsey won a penalty stroke as Harwoods goal abound  follow up shot was stoped on the lie with a foot.

Harwood delegated the stroke to Robertson, but the keeper made an amazing save to keep the score 2 1.

Romsey has a third goal scored by Josh Harwood disallowed for a third party obstruction, and this seemed to spur on Hamble.

With just three minutes remaining and after solid defending from Rob Cavalier and Ben Parker down the left the ball was eventually moved in to the circle and after a scramble Hamble equalised.

A disappointing point, but with good news that Ritchie was OK after having to go off and get checked out, Romsey head to Salisbury next week.

Romsey faced a tricky away trip to Lavant who boasted a 100% record from their three previous outings in the season so far, while Romsey had played only once picking up an away point.

The game started evenly, and it was the solid defence of Romsey, with Duncan Sanders and Dave Loescher commanding the centre at the back that allowed Ben Parker to play a superb clearance to Elliot Colyer.  The youngster moved the ball up the Romsey right before playing it on to Colin Harwood, his first time pass played in James Fuller, who had much to do.  The 13 year old Fuller drove down the right and cut in to the Lavant circle pulling the Lavant keeper to cover the near post, Fuller calmly played it to the back post for Josh Harwood to coolly swipe the ball in for 1-0.

Soon after Romsey doubled their lead, some good central interchange of passes between the reliable Dave Andrews, Rob Cavalier and Josh Harwood see the latter move in to the circle, after his first attempt was blocked Harwood reverse swept the ball in to the far corner for 2-0 Romsey.

Romsey then had to absorb some Lavant pressure, but a long clearance from the Romsey circle found its way up field via Carl Hendy and James Fuller, with the Lavant keeper then in two minds as to whether to leave it or keep it in play, his weak clearance was picked up by Josh Harwood who finished in style for his hat-trick in his Man of the Match performance.

This saw Lavant raise their game, and after winning a couple of penalty corners which Romsey stoutly defended, a good through ball saw debutant Romsey keeper Nick Welby upend the centre forward, and a penalty stroke was awarded.  Welby, who hadn’t played a match for 21 years, was more than up for the challenge, using his experience to calmly save the stroke and keep it 3-0 at half time.

The second half saw Romsey absorbing pressure, James Tower at right full back was able to clear on a number of occasions and allow Elliot Colyer and James Fuller to break, and a good move between the two played in Josh Harwood to cross for Colin Harwood, who managed to push his shot on the base of the post and the rebound was cleared.

Romsey stretched their lead soon afterwards though, when Carl Hendy played in Colin Harwood who made no mistake pushing the ball past the keeper and the far post for 4-0.

Lavant still upped their game, and stout defending from Stuart Robertson saw him take a nasty deflection above his right eye and had to leave the field for the rest of the match.  This allowed Lavant to finally pull a goal back after two fine saves from Welby and clearances from Parker, Loescher and Sanders.

Lavant pushed for a second, and Romsey looked tired, but a long clearance upfield from Parker to Cavalier allowed the left half to play the ball to Colin Harwood, with Lavant having committed players up field Harwood took the ball in to the circle and his shot bounced under the keepers foot for 5-1.

Lavant had the last word with a consolation in last minute for 5-2, but Romsey were delighted with their efforts which were built on solid defending and great central midfield play from Dave Andrews and Josh Harwood, allowing the younger players to express themselves brilliantly.

Romsey finally kicked off their season in the Men’s 4s after a postponement the previous week with a hard fought point away at Alton.

Romsey had three 13 year olds making their Men’s debuts, and with half the team 16 or under it was an even split of youth and experience.

Romsey started the brighter, and Josh Harwood was unlucky when his goal bound shot blown up for a high ball after it hit the defenders leg.

Will Ritchie on the left of midfield made some excellent runs combining with Will Richards and James Manning to carve the Alton defence open, and soon after a ball played to Colin Harwood at the top of the circle who played it square to Josh Harwood, he beat his man and squared it back to Harwood Senior, another one two between the pair took out the keeper allowing Colin Harwood to put the ball in the empty goal.

Soon after Romsey doubled their lead, a fine  through ball from Dave Andrews in centre midfield was fired in to the circle and Top marksman Carl Hendy got a deft touch to glance it past the keeper for 2-0.

Romsey didn’t have it their own way and Duncan Sanders and Dave Loescher had to make several interceptions to clear Romsey lines, a hit outside the circle from Alton was deflected on to the Romsey post, and cleared and Bryn Wathen was called upon to make three clearances.

With James Tower supporting down the right, it looked like Romsey might get a third as James Fuller, Will Ritchie and Josh Harwood all came close, but Romsey were undone just before half time when they gave away a penalty corner and Alton made it 2-1.

The second half saw Alton up their game Romsey were left to absorb pressure. Elliot Colyer held his own at right back, cutting out a number of Alton plays and then using his skill to move up the right hand side.

Romsey almost got a third from a breakaway when Rob Cav was played in but his shot hit a foot and Romseys penalty corner was cleared off the line, and then James Fuller was in but the keeper narrowed the angel to make the save.

With 15 minutes to go Alton got the equaliser they deserved and they led to an exciting last quarter with both sides having chances.

Andrews and Hendy both had half chances, while Colyer created opportunities up the right but Fuller, Ritchie and Harwood jnr couldn’t covert in to goal scoring plays.

The Alton keeper managed to lay on top on Harwood Senior which resulted in a penalty corner and both players receiving their teams awards in the clubhouse after.

A fair result in the end as Wathen in goal and the solid defence kept Alton out.

Romsey gained some revenge from their heavy defeat at home on what was only their second game of the season back in October, to all but halt Bournemouth’s plan to grab the runners up spot in the league, and so it appears this was a third versus fourth fixture.
Romsey started brightly against a Bournemouth side who had won all their previous seven home games bar one. Some early interchanges between James Tower and Steve White down the right played in Chris Harwood to cross, while Matchey Lincoln missed his shot Colin Harwood’s attempt was smothered by the keeper.
Colin Harwood was then played in by Chris Harwood to set up Carl Hendy, but the whistle blew for a somewhat harsh lifted ball. Hendy then played in Colin Harwood who saw his goal bound shot turned away by the in form keeper.
Then Romsey it was Romsey’s turn to absorb pressure, Dave Loescher twice cleared, and Will Richards played a blinder a left back, supported by Man of the Match Tower, who smashed the ball high in to his own goal from a wide Bournemouth cross, to avert danger with a corner.
Soon after Bournemouth took the lead, with a great move by their centre forward who shot high in to the corner of the goal from the top of the circle.

With Bryn Wathen then being called on to make two good saves, and Duncan Sanders getting two tight tackles in it looked like Romsey would fall further behind. However, a quick break saw Dave Andrews play the ball to Colin Harwood, he beat his man and played a perfectly weighted ball to Chris Harwood inside the circle, as defender and keeper ran out to close him down, Harwood played the ball square for debutant Matchey Lincoln to equalise just before half time.
In the second half, Romsey again started on top. Rob Cav & James Tower combined down the right for Chris Harwood to win a hit just outside the circle. He ran the ball back out of the 23 yard line, and played it to Andrews who played it to Hendy, who shot past the keeper to give Romsey the lead.
The lead was extended when a penalty corner was played out by Colin Harwood to Matchey Lincoln, and the younger forward lifted the ball in to corner of the goal with a great drag flick for 3-1.
With Bournemouth desperate to get some points, Romsey had to undertake a rear guard action for the remainder of the match, and Bournemouth had a number of chances to close the arrears.
The first they did from an interception, Wathen having no chance, and then after clearances off the line by Cav, Loescher, and brilliant Will Richards cut out, and Tower in a frenetic 15 minute period, eventually Bournemouth made it 3-3, but Romsey held out for a point and Bournemouth trudged off disappointed they had drop points at home for only the second time in the season.

Romsey ran out winners in a game they dominated, but made it far from easy as they didn’t make the most of their chances to make for an exciting finish.
These teams shared a 3-3 draw earlier in the season, so it was going to be a close game, but Romsey made the most of the opening exchanges, although they couldn’t get a breakthrough.
It was Man of the match Hal Cross, playing in only his second game outfield who showed Romsey how it should be done. He intercepted the ball from the last two Aldershot defenders and created a clear run towards the keeper, as he squared up to the goalkeeper with the ball he made no mistake firing Romsey 1-0 up with his solo effort.
Aldershot had their chances, two long balls found their centre forward free, a great save from Bryn Wathen kept one out and great tacking by Dave Loescher preserved the Romsey goal.
With Aldershot then winning a number of penalty corners, Romsey had to rely on Duncan Sanders to clear two chances and then calmly play the ball out to Ben Parker to relieve pressure.
As Romsey built again, it was a great move from Dave Andrews who played in Felix Chapman-Sheath tha cut open Aldershot just before half time. Felix beat his man, but played a superbly weighted ball to Josh Harwood who cut in to the circle to pass square to Carl Hendy who got a great touch at the near post for 2-0.
Hendy then had a shot saved high up by the keepers hand, and Steve White had a shot from the edge of the circle that was blocked, but the half ended 2-0.
Romsey made so good openings in the second half, Hendy was played in by Colin Harwood but he put his shot wide, and then when he was played in by Hal Cross he carried the ball towards the goal before seeing it roll wide again. Harwood had the ball in the net, but it was blown for a penalty corner, from which Rob Cav, saw his shot saved at the near post by the keeper.
Then with Romsey regretting not adding to their lead, Aldershot broke and were awarded a penalty stroke when a Romsey foot and a Romsey stick tackled compounded the situation. Aldershot made no mistake, Wathen wrong footed and it was 2-1.
As Romsey had to lift their game, Dave Andrews and Josh Harwood created a solid wall in front of Sanders and Loescher and played the ball out through James Tower. He found Colin Harwood on the half way line, and after a great shout for a pass from Hal Cross, played the ball through the Aldershot defence for the young striker to run on to, just like in the first half he clamly took the ball towards the keeper before slotting it past him for a 3-1 victory.
The win lifted Romsey to forth in the table, which looks like it will be their final position with one game to play.

This was a point won for Romsey, as Lavant pushed to avenge the defeat they suffered at Romsey before Christmas.They pressed Romsey in the first 15 minutes and it was stout defending by centre back Ben Parker and Duncan Sanders who kept them away from clean shot opportunities. Two vital clearances by James Tower and Will Richards meant that Bryn Wathen only had to make one real save in the opening exchanges.

Romsey rallied and Carl Hendy was played in by Hal Cross, the experienced strikers shot lacked its usual power and The Lavant keeper made a comfortable save.

Buoyed by this chance, Romsey swapped a few players positions and started to be more offensive. Dave Andrews and Colin Harwood combined with a number of swift short passes to play in Steve White but he couldn’t get a shot away, then Hal Cross had a chance but his shot went wide. 

Romsey won three penalty corners and from the the third Jamie Sanderson stoped the ball and played it to his right for across to fire a shot just wide.

The second half saw more early Lavant pressure, and a move by Lavant saw the ball cut square to the striker two yards out, only for Wathen to make a great reaction save.

Then Tower and Rob Cav combined down the Romsey right to relieve some pressure and played in Hendy who was tackled.

Romsey had a half chance when Harwood was played in by Richards down the right and his cross just eluded White at the far post.

With two minutes to go Sanderson had to go off, taking a painful ball on the toe.

Lavant pushed up In search of the winner, and the ball looked like it may go off the back line for Romsey hit out, but under pressure Wathen conceded a long corner. This last chance saw Lavant drive into the circle and appeared to have scored the only goal of the game from a super shot, only for Wathen to make an amazing one handed stick save and Romsey cleared their lines as the final whistle blew.

Romsey gained another turn around victory following their defeat away earlier in the season, this team emphatically coming out on top and moving up the league table to 5th place.
Romsey started brightly and youngsters Josh Harwood, Jamie Sanderson and Felix Chapman-Sheath used their pace to move the ball around the experienced ‘Stoke back line.  They won a penalty corner early on but Carl Hendy’s shot went wide.
As the half went on it was building moves solidly from the back and keeping ‘Stoke penned in their own half and under pressure that was the key. James Tower and Duncan Sanders combined to set up Simon Mayes to drive in to circle and he interchanged with Phil Humphreys to win another penalty corner.
This time the ball was played out and Mayes beat two players before feigning to pass, and instead lifting the ball in to the goal to put Romsey 1-0 up.
As half time approached Dave Loescher had to clear up a couple of Basingstoke break aways, but Bryn Wathen was untroubled in the Romsey goal.  Then in the 35th minute, Mayes broke in to the circle and drove alone the end of the pitch to pull the ball back to Hendy who made no mistake for 2-0.
The second half started with Romsey on the attack, and early on Colin Harwood intercepted an attempted clearance down the right, he played the ball to the top of the circle, and Rob Cavalier found himself with the ball and able to get a fierce strike away for 3-0 and his first goal for the Club.
Not to be out done, Harwood then played a similar ball to the top of the circle for Felix Chapman-Sheath to lift the ball first time past the keeper and high in to the net for 4-0.
The play continued, and this time a Harwood shot was stopped on the goal line, as the ball bounced up off Humphreys stick and the goalkeeper, the Romsey midfielder made no mistake smashing the ball down in to the goal from its lofted position.
Basingstoke did pull a goal back, when a well worked moved from an interception caught Romsey short at the back, and Loescher and Wathen and Ben Parker couldn’t keep the ball out as ‘Stoke made it 5-1.
But Romsey were not finished and Humphreys bagged his second from a similar distance to his first, this time after good play from Jamie Sanderson to get the ball deep in to the circle, and Humphreys pushed the ball, this time on the ground, over the line and it was 6-1.
Then with Dave Loescher pushing up as the game drew to an end he played in Colin Harwood in the left hand corner of the pitch, Harwood lifted the ball over the defenders stick and drove towards the circle, as two defenders and the keeper closed him down he passed to Josh Harwood at the top of the circle to play the ball first time in to goal for 7-1.



Gallery Glimpse

SONY DSC SONY DSC ladies1_v_eastleigh_151011_18 ladies3_v_iow2s_081011_01
Free Sitemap Generator